New York City winters are cold and brutal. As a building manager, you’re not going to want to wing it – you’re going to need to be prepared for the winter season before it’s too late.
Here are some of American Security’s top tips to keep your building protected and winter-ready:
- Is it time to update your heating systems? Is your HVAC system up to par and working efficiently? How about your gas heater? You may be missing out on a huge energy saving opportunity if they’re not.
- Change your furnace filters. A small maintenance opportunity that is easy to forget, furnace filters need to be cleaned or even replaced if they’re super dirty – dirty filters restrict airflow and increase your energy costs. A great way to make this as hassle-free a process as it can be, is to invest in a permanent filter.
- Make sure your building doors and windows are draft-proof. Are your doors and windows the correct size? If not, the subsequent drafts can increase your energy bills up to 30%!
- Leaving your building vacant for the winter? Make sure you winterize your building water supply piping or else you could face permanent freeze damage. We recommend removing all water from the supply pipes and cut pipes if necessary.
- Every year, thousands of buildings spend way too much on energy due to damage on the exterior of the buildings. Make sure you’re keeping up with building repairs and calk in the areas around pipes to ensure they are insulated and prevented from the freezing cold temperatures of the outside world.
- A seasonal change is also a good opportunity to audit your building technology. Is your security system up to date? Make sure your security system is up to date and fully functional.
- No other part of your building gets as much direct exposure to the brunt of winter than your roof does. Building managers should conduct roof inspections before and after every winter to ensure blistering, cracking, ponding and other issues are not impacting their building.
New York City winters are nasty but the worst can be prevented with proper preparation. When it comes to life safety, there is no margin for error. That’s why our customers have been relying on American Security to protect their homes, businesses, and facilities since 1979. We have been installing monitoring and maintaining security, fire and interactive video systems throughout the tristate area and specialize in commercial and multi-family housing applications.