Did you know that Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires? According to the National Fire Protection Association, 1,630 home cooking fires were reported on Thanksgiving in 2018 alone! In most instances, the kitchen was left unattended while food was cooking.
At American Security, we believe there is no margin for error when it comes to life safety. Here are our top kitchen fire safety tips to keep in mind this Thanksgiving:
- Never leave the stove unattended. If you are cooking anything— frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food— make sure to supervise the food. If you are going to leave the kitchen, turn off the stove. Often, fires can start in an instant. If you’re not there to manage it, you put your house at serious risk.
- Keep the cooking space clean. If anything surrounding the cooking area is highly combustible, you make the potential for a fire much more dangerous. When cooking this Thanksgiving, make sure to keep the cooking area tidy and free of combustible materials like papers, packaging, flammable liquids, oven mitts, towels, or anything else.
- Keep children out of the kitchen as much as you can. Children tend to be clumsy and move things around. The kitchen is full of potentially dangerous apparatus that should only be operated by adults. To ensure the kitchen is at its lowest risk for burning and fire potential, make it a kid-free zone!
- Don’t let pot handles stick out. If you have food cooking on the stove, make sure all pot handles are turned inward towards the back of the stove and out of the way of traffic. This makes them less likely to be run into or improperly grabbed by any children that might roam the kitchen.
- Practice traditional fire safety. That’s right! Teach the household the importance of stop, drop, and roll! Additionally, keep a fire extinguisher on hand and consider investing in a fire-smothering blanket or prepping your house for easy access around cooking time for the holidays. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Dress for kitchen safety. Loose-fitting clothing is a fire hazard! Don’t risk catching aflame and make sure to wear form-fitting clothing and close-toed shoes when cooking in the kitchen, especially where there are open flames present.
- Don’t drink and cook! Around the holidays, it’s traditional to get festive and have a drink or two. Make sure to stay sober when you are cooking and preparing meals, and save the drinking for later. Using kitchen appliances while inebriated is a huge fire safety risk.
If you’re a building manager in NYC, you might find it helpful to share these tips with your tenants. You’ll also need to ensure that in the event of a fire, your building is fire-code compliant and that your ARCS system is properly installed.
If you live in an apartment make sure you follow these apartment-specific fire safety tips:
- Make sure each unit has a smoke alarm that works.
- Each apartment should have a carbon monoxide detector. (Fire code dictates a detector within 15 feet of the doorway to a sleeping area).
- Throw away frayed or damaged electric cords that may pose a fire risk.
- Prohibiting the use of highly flammable materials being stored in apartments like gasoline or high quantities of ethanol.
- Keeping space heaters away from combustible materials.
- Keeping the fire escape window easy to access.
- Make sure building stairways are clear for fires!
This Thanksgiving, the team at American Security encourages families everywhere to enjoy the holidays safely. Follow these tips to practice utmost fire safety in the home and prevent getting burned.
Looking for tangible fire solutions in your building? Check out our fire safety solutions here. To learn more about our CCTV, Virtual Doorman, Building Security, and full-service security systems, please contact us.